How to get rid of Dandruff?
What is Dandruff and what causes it?Dandruff is caused when dead skin cells shed from the scalp which causes itching and irritation. It is not caused by hair itself.
Different causes are attributed to the onset of dandruff, such as dryness of scalp, a type of fungus called malassezia, improper diet, stress, medical conditions and side effect of medications.
Dandruff treatments and remediesEliminate dandruff fast and permanently is not simple, but definitely one or a mix of the following techniques will help you to achieve it:
1. Anti-dandruff shampoo: Of course, first try with an anti-dandruff shampoo daily to wash your hair till that the flakes subside. Wash your hair regularly but not obsessively. Leave the shampoo on hair for at least 5 minutes before washing it off. When the flakes reduce, use the anti-dandruff shampoo 2-3 times a week.
Excess shampooing containing harsh chemicals like lauryl sulfate can irritate and dry the scalp which can exacerbate the dandruff.
2. Olive Oil: Apart for its use in cooking, olive oil has many other uses. Olive oil contains natural clarifying properties and is an excellent moisturizer. Dandruff gradually reduces by consistently using olive oil.
Massage the scalp regularly with olive oil and the dandruff will gradually go away. For best results, make sure to oil the hair at night. After 10 hours of applying olive oil, wash off the hair.
3. Coconut Oil: Wash your hair, but don't use conditioner. Put the coconut oil on your scalp, avoid getting spreading it on the rest of the hair.
4. Coconut Oil with lemon juice: Squeeze lemon juice in warm coconut oil in the ratio of 1:5. Mix well and massage the scalp. Use this regularly to eliminate dandruff. Lemon juice contains beneficial antifungal properties which help to eliminate dandruff completely.
5. Neem Leaves:Neem leaves contain antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal and antibacterial properties that make it a effective agent against dandruff. Boil some neem leaves and filter the water. Rinse your hair with this neem-water after the regular hair wash with normal water. Neem water also helps to get rid of body acne besides treating dandruff.
6. Vinegar: After washing the hair, add a few drops of apple cider vinegar in a mug full of water. Use this vinegar-water as a final rinse, focusing on the scalp. Do not use chemically treated vinegar. The smell of vinegar fades away as the hair dries.
Vinegar is potassium-rich, and very effective to get rid of dead skin which cause dandruff flakes.
7. Tea Tree oil: Tea tree oil is good cure to treat and cure dandruff. Just put a few drops along with your regular hair oil and massage on your scalp.